Tuesday, March 11, 2014

RINO's.....


RINO…..I think I’m getting a little tired of that word.  Not that RINO’s don’t exist.  I believe that they do, but I think sometimes those of us who tend to be to the far right in the political spectrum that is the Republican Party apply that term to anyone who we deem less conservative than we are.
Most recently, I’ve heard the term applied to my own Congressman Dave Joyce by those who back his challenger in the primary in May.  I think that this is an unfair characterization of Congressman Joyce. 
Before I proceed to tell you why, let me explain that I have supported both men in the past.  In 2012 although I don’t live in State Representative Matt Lynch’s district, I did give him some assistance in his campaign. I grew up in Troy Township which is part of his district, and my home now is close to the line of his district.  I would let his campaign know when there were events in his district that he could attend.  I also encouraged my friends in his district to vote for him. I have appreciated his standing for conservative principles while in the General Assembly and even considered him my “adopted” State Rep since my current State Representative does not represent me very well. 
As for Congressman Joyce, in 2012 former Congressman Steve LaTourette stepped out of the race; and the Chairmen and Secretaries of the County Republican Parties in his district picked Dave Joyce to be the Republican candidate for the Ohio 14th District.  I volunteered for his campaign and helped out wherever I could. 
Since his election, while there have been a few times I haven’t agreed with him, I’ve grown to respect him and to especially respect the fact that he has the heart of a true public servant. 
The name RINO has been applied to Congressman Joyce unfairly.  On the most important and most visible issue of our time, ObamaCare, the Congressman has voted every chance he could to repeal, defund, delay, or fix it every chance he has had. 
Congressman Joyce is a fiscal conservative who practices what he preaches. He returned $100,000 of his own office budget back to the treasurer. This is something he also did every year when he was the Geauga County Prosecutor for 24 years.  Congressman Joyce introduced a bill – THE SAVE ACT - that would cut $200 billion in government waste and duplicative programs.
Those of us who are concerned about how the Constitution seems to be ignored by our current President should take note that Congressman Joyce recently signed on as a sponsor of the STOP (Stop This Overreaching Presidency) Act, which holds Obama accountable for his Executive Overreach as well as bills to hold the IRS accountable and demand answers from the tragedy in Benghazi.
Congressman Joyce is pro-life, pro-family, and pro-gun. 
That doesn’t sound like a RINO to me.
He may not be quite as conservative as his primary opponent or me for that matter, but he is conservative. 
Some have tried to tie him to his predecessor, Steve LaTourette, and have made a great deal about the fact that he is a member of the moderate Republican organization headed up by LaTourette, Main Street Partnership.  While it is true that Congressman Joyce joined this organization when he was elected, so have several other congressmen who are considered conservative including Congressman Bill Johnson in the 6th District.  Also Congressman Joyce joined the Republican Study Committee which is a conservative organization.  He wanted to get a full picture of the Republicans in the House.  
Joining an organization, any organization, does not mean you automatically agree with every stance they take.  Main Street Partnership pushed for a “clean” debt ceiling bill, but Congressman Joyce voted against that because it had no spending reductions.  
While I don’t agree completely with Congressman Joyce on everything, I do agree with most of what he has done and don’t believe he is a RINO by any stretch of the imagination.
I’m supporting Congressman Joyce in this primary in part because I believe it is best to vote for the most conservative candidate that can win. I honestly don’t believe that Matt Lynch can win the general election in this district. I don’t want to see a liberal Democrat win that seat. Prior to redistricting, I was in Democrat Tim Ryan’s district. I know what it is like to be represented by a liberal Democrat. I would rather have a Congressman that I agree with 80% or 90% of the time than one that I agree with 5% of the time.
But don’t think that because I cite that practical reason that I will consider Congressman Joyce the lesser of two evils in November.  I have tremendous admiration for the man that Congressman Joyce is.
As I said before, over the last year and a half I’ve grown to respect him as a man who has the heart of a public servant.  When Congress is not in session, he is in the district speaking to his constituents, finding out what they think.  He takes the time to get into the far reaches of the district.  Heck, he actually knows where Farmington is. 
In December, he participated in the swearing in ceremony that we had for several of the township trustees in the area.  He spoke from his heart when talking about his own attitude toward being a public servant. 
I know that he truly gets what many in elected office don’t -we are supposed to be servants of the people not rulers over them.
Congressman Joyce may not be a rock star, but he is a good man working hard to serve all of the people in his district.  For that, he has my vote and my support.

No comments: