Monday, January 10, 2005

A Little More Info

Okay, here's a little more info on my homeschool-Yoder Dame. I have one pupil, Jack age 5. We finished kindergarten just before Christmas, and we will start first grade tomorrow. Now don't get it into your head that I have some kind of little prodigy, or that I'm trying to make a super kid. We started a little early so I could get my little bundle of energy to get used to sitting still. I really thought I'd be re-teaching a lot of stuff. It went better than I thought and here we are starting first grade. I sort of follow the classical philosophy of education. Here's a site for more information http://www.welltrainedmind.com/classed.html. I do place more emphasis on math than most people who follow this philosophy. I do this first because I think it's very important and second because my son really likes math. Overall I enjoy homeschooling, and I am very glad I made this choice. People ask me a lot if I will ever send Jack to school. The truth is I don't know. I will probably keep evaluating what I am doing and decide what's best for him each year, but I know I won't be sending him anytime soon. People also ask me why I am doing this. There are lots of reasons that I decided to homeschool Jack. Most of them have to do with academics and the type of education I want him to have. I ultimately hope to create in him a lifelong love of learning. I honestly think schools by their very make up (institutional) squash that love rather than nurture it. As I go along on this journey though, I am finding the side benefit of being able to mesh his spiritual and academic lives really appealing. I am seeing that not only am I giving him a good academic foundation, but also I am providing a spiritual foundation at the same time. I am honestly not sure I would have taken the time to do this if I hadn't started homeschooling him. Well I better close for now.

No comments: