Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Out of my comfort zone

I'm trying to lose weight, and this is definitely pushing me out of my comfort zone. I've been working on this for about 8 or 9 months. I've changed my diet and tried to get more active-walking and swimming laps. I've lost somewhere between 25 and 30 pounds which is great, but I want to lose faster so I have joined a gym-this is way outside my comfort zone. I had to have a fitness evaluation last Friday-way way outside my comfort zone. Tonight I went for the second part of the evaluation which is really just going over a workout designed for me and learning about the equipment. I also did a workout afterwards. I am really tired, but I think that my journey outside my comfort zone will eventually pay off. I was thinking how funny it is that we get used to being a certain way to a point where we don't want to change even when it means we'll be healthier or better people. I guess it's human nature to resist change. What's so ironic about it in my case is that I used to be the person I am trying to be, and I still resist it. Not only was I once thinner ( alot thinner), but was also pretty athletic. I ran track, played softball, and even tried basketball when I was a freshman in high school (way too short to do it much after that:) Somewhere along the way I turned into this non-athletic fatty. I am sure someone could psychoanalyze this and find some big reason, but I think ultimately other things became more of a priority than being fit-work mostly. Well I still need to take my shower so I better wrap this up. We'll see how my journey outside my zone works out. Maybe after I lose a little more, I'll start posting some before and after pictures. For now I'll just hit the showers.

No comments: