Monday, January 10, 2005

Yoder Dame

Okay I figure I better explain Yoder Dame. I bought a shirt that said "Yoder Dame home of the farming Amish" with the the Notre Dame logo made to look like a little Amish guy on it as a white elephant gift for the Yoder Christmas party. Geno (my DH) ended up with the it. About the same time, I had been reading a thread on my homeschooling boys newsgroup regarding naming our homeschoools. I guess some states require it. (Ohio does not.) (BTW, my favorite post was from a woman who homeschools 4 or 5 boys. Her school is called Diamond Academy because her boys are diamonds in the rough and they live on Diamond Street. She even had a sign for her dining room. She said that she uses the sign to let her husband know when it's been a rough day-she has Diamond Correctional Institute on the other side.) Anyway, Geno and I started joking that maybe I should call ours Yoder Dame School so we (sort of) jokingly call it that. I guess it is pretty appropriate-I am a Yoder Dame and I am the teacher. Actually, in England and later in New England, the first of what we call elementary schools were called dame schools because they were taught by women so I guess we are a dame school and our name is Yoder.....

No comments: