Monday, March 03, 2008

My little girl Junior

Here's my sweet little girl Junior. Let me explain the name. Until November of '05, we had the greatest dog in the world, Bubba. He was a Great Dane/Lab mix-120lbs of pure love. I had him from '95 until we had to have him put down in '05. He was 13-old for either breed. He was deaf, was almost blind, and had arthritis. It was a difficult decision to make, but after seeing him come in from the cold one day, not able to use his back legs, I knew we had go ahead and put him to sleep. It was awful for all of us, but honestly I think it was hardest on me. He had been my companion when I would be home alone in those years before the boy came along. I worked at home, and I would talk to him when I was frustrated. He was a footstool for my short legs under the table when I was working. I absolutely loved him. Since his death, whenever we'd talk about gettting another dog, my son insisted that we call the next dog, Bubba, Jr. When I finally was able to bring myself to start looking for a dog, I decided to get a female Great Dane. I was able to talk the boy out of the Bubba part, but we compromised on Junior. So I have a female dog named Junior whom I call Junie. She is an awesome little girl, but I can't quite forget my Bubba so for now she's the second greatest dog ever.

No comments: